Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beans, Beans

The other day, I made a goulash of sorts for dinner. Ella kept asking what was in it and why. One of the items I threw in was butter beans. I love them, and I'm trying to get the kids to like new things. I thought I was a little sneaky because the sauce in the food masked the color of the beans; I thought they'd be hidden. Of course my daughter found them immediately. She used to eat everything. Now? Not so much.
I told her that they were beans and they were good for her; they'd give her muscles! She whined a little, and so I broke down and sang her the song.
Beans, beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel,
So let's eat beans with every meal!
She thought I was so funny, and made me sing it to her again and again and again. After the sixth time, I refused to sing it any longer and I walked out of the room.
This morning, while she's eating her cereal, she says, "Momma!" with such urgency that I quickly turn around to see what's happened. Had she spilled her milk from her bowl? Had Grayson tried to change the TV channel because he was tired of watching Strawberry Shortcake? Oh no.
"Momma! Sing the bean song!! Sing the bean song!" she yells. It took me a moment to register what she had just said. I laughed.
"You want me to sing the bean song," I asked her.
"Yes, puh-leezzz!" She begged.
Of course I gave in and she giggled as I sang the song for her....only twice!

1 comment:

Quigs78 said...

Too cute! Sometimes I feel like I have to be a clown for my kids just to get them to eat.

I'm sure I'm creating food issues. :)