Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I need a vacation.

I'm tired. I'm really tired. Things in our house have been so crazy these last few days.

Grayson got sick on Monday. Ok. I guess "sick" just makes it sound like he caught a cold. He had a fever and I thought it was teething related. Oh no. The kid was sitting on my lap while I was at the computer when he started crying and proceeded to vomit mass amounts of undigested milk all over me. I had never seen anything like it. Chunks upon chunks of what looked like super large cottage cheese curds. Gross, I know. And the smell!

After cleaning up and taking a nap, I tried to soothe him with a bottle of just 4 ounces of skim milk. I thought it'd be ok. It wasn't too much and it was lighter than whole milk. Five minutes after he had that, he threw it up....all over my favorite, expensive, cream-colored sheets which were on my month-old pillow-top mattress. Oh yeah. That was loads of fun to clean up. At one point I was actually cursing myself for buying a mattress that can't be turned over.


I rushed him to the doctor because I was really worried. He's never thrown up before, and the fact that he had a fever just added to my worry.

Ella was a trooper. She listed to me and played nicely in the waiting room at the doc's office. Of course she had to tell anyone who would listen that: "My name's Ella. I'm 3. My brother is sick. He threw up on my mommy and he threw up on Mommy's bed." After her speech, the parent to which she was speaking would look over at me and smile. All I could do was politely wave and say hello.


The doctor said he had a 100.3 fever, and that since everything else seemed fine, she was diagnosing him with the stomach flu. I was glad it wasn't anything serious, but now I had to worry about E or me getting it because we leave on Friday.

So we've camped out on my bed for the last couple days (with old sheets on it). I sleep when I can. I've watched Baby Einstein movies and way more Noggin than any one adult should. The little man was dazed and confused for the first 2 days but he is now feeling better. Last night he slept until 4, then we finished our morning on the couch, not getting up until almost 9.

Last night he was crying and I gave him some Tylenol but I pushed the syringe a little too fast and he started to choke on it. He started coughing and I had flashbacks of him getting sick all over me. Ella was standing there and she immediately got me a towel just in case. She said, "Watch out! He's gonna blow!" Leave it to E to add humor to the situation! He didn't "blow," and after he calmed down, he was just fine.

I chanced things last night and gave him 2 ounces of milk and he did fine with it. But I was worried all night that I was going to pay for it this morning. However, he seems to be almost back to his mischievous self. I'd say he's 90% better. And neither E or I are sick, so thank goodness for that!

I don't know how single parents survive. I've been like a single parent for a week and a half while B's out of town, and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown. Of course G being sick didn't help, but really! How do those women and men do it? I couldn't imaging having more than 2 kids and going at it alone. It's hard work!

It's times like these that I wish we lived closer to family and that I had more friends down here. It would have been nice to drop E off at someone's house the other day when I had to rush G to the doctor's office.

At least I get a two day break and then B will be back home. I've already informed my partner-in-crime for the weekend to watch out: I'm really going to cut loose and have a good time!

2 comments:

Lavender Lemonade said...

yuck, yuck, yuck. thank goodness you get a weekend away! :)

The Fearless Freak said...

Poor G. It is awful when they get sick like that.

For future info, Illini Mattress Factory carries some really nice waterproof pads. They have one that is just platic, one that is puffy (and not totally waterproof, just resistant) and one that is in between. I have the in between one which is a plastic sheet topped with a thin piece of soft material.

They even fit the extra thick pillow top mattress that I have, which was hard to find without paying a fortune or getting something crappy (I got one from Target that one trip through the washer managed to peel the plastic off the fabirc, which made it useless)


It has saved my bed a number of times, since whenever anyone gets sick, they end up in my bed.