Monday, July 28, 2008

Snap, Snap, Kiss, Kiss

For a long time, I've been worried that Grayson wasn't developing mentally as fast as he should be. He's not really talking, and up until recently, had no interest in things that Ella did at his age.

At his last wellness visit, the doctor asked me what he did when he played with his cars. "Um. VROOM, VROOM!" I told her. I knew where she was going with the question. She said he was doing fine, and that I shouldn't worry. Of course I still worried. G's lack of words has made life difficult.

I'm starting to see that he's gonna be fine. He is doing those things Ella did, only he's about 4-6 months behind when she did them. He has begun to show a real interest in books - something I've been desperately waiting for. Lately, he's been reading them more than eating them. He brings me books throughout the day for us to read together.

He is identifying things in the picture books more and more everyday, and that makes me so happy! The other day, we were looking at a book of colors and when we turned to the page with the green alligator, I took my hand and made a snap motion while saying "snap, snap." He thought it was so funny and quickly picked up on it. Now every time he sees an alligator or crocodile, he makes the motion and tries to say the word, "snap."

He has been so affectionate toward me lately too. He likes to give kisses and "lovins" sometimes to the point that my face is covered in slobber. I don't care. I'm just happy to have him give me a kiss when I ask him for it. It's not just the fact that it is affection, it is that he hears what I say to him and responds.

He's been identifying facial features. He loves "nose" and "eye" and some days I think he's really saying the words. But, again, I'm just happy that he's identifying what I ask him to.

I knew that with G being an early walker/climber/acrobat that his speech might come later than it did with Ella. But now that he's vocalizing more, and identifying more objects, I'm starting to feel much better about things. Now, if only he'd listen and understand what "no" means. I guess it's just one step at a time.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Every kid develops at their own pace. I think I heard once that Albert Einstein didn't talk until he was 4 years old or somthing. Also it is now believed he was autistic.

You should thank your lucky stars that he isn't bombarding you with "why", "no", "mine". Annoying words I hear on an every minute basis from you-know-who.

He's fine and very cute too =)