Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ella's 4th birthday celebration

We celebrated Ella's 4th birthday over the weekend at my parent's house. It was a nice party. I think my only real complaint is that we had too many people cancel after they said they'd be there. Some people had valid excuses. My grandparents went to North Carolina to be with my Aunt Martha because she had brain surgery on Thursday. Our friend Art's father passed away on Tuesday, and they had family in town for the services. As far as I'm concerned, all the other family and friends' excuses were lame. I had planned the party around a certain amount of people. I planned food, cake, goodie bags, crafts, balloons, and everything in between for all these people, and then they cancel at the last minute. I should know better. This happens all the time. I think I even blogged about it before.

I now have TONS of cake left over. Tons! Ella had asked for a "pirate-dinosaur-mermaid-ocean" party. Of course I had to give her what she wanted - it was her big day. I made this HUGE cake. It was a pirate ship on an ocean sailing to a desert island with a treasure that was guarded by dinosaurs and pirate ghosts. Oh, and there were mermaids in the ocean guarding the island. The cake was great. It wasn't my best, but it was cool. It was also big enough to feed a small army. So if anyone is in the mood for cake, just let me know. I've cut it up, and I'll be freezing it today.

Ella had a good time. It just so happens that the street my parents live on had their annual block party on the same day we chose for Ella's party. There was all kinds of games going on; kids were riding their bikes all over the place; snacks were set up on tables in the street.

Ella loved her cake and all of her gifts. She got to play with her cousin & best friend, Aubry. She got to ride her new bike up and down a safe street. She helped Uncle Troy paint rocks gold for her treasure chest. She really did have a good birthday. And I know that she didn't miss any of the people who didn't attend. Next year, we'll be having her party at our house. She'll have friends from playgroup and school at it, and I'm sure my immediate family will also be there, and I know she'll have another great birthday party.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Okay you've blogged about a million times since the last time I checked your blog. Yeah!!!