Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Backyardigans Live!

Last night, I took Ella to see The Backyardigans Tale of The Mighty Knights. I had kept it a secret from her until we got in the car on our way to the Assembly Hall. She was so very excited, and I think I was too.



We had really good seats. Section A, Row 7, seats 8 & 9. I could have gotten us the "prime" seats for more money, but after sitting down, I realized that we were in a great spot. I thought that (based on commercials for the show) that the kids would get to sing and dance in front of the stage, which was the only reason I had even wanted to be on the floor. Come to find out, they could only do that prior to the show and at intermission. So that extra money I could've spent would have been a waste. The show was far from sold out, but there were enough children there screaming to give an average person a headache. Of course, one of the loudest ones sat right behind me...go figure!




At first, I thought the show looked a little cheap. Then I had to step back and think about it. They travel this thing all over the country, only staying at each venue about 2 days. The set obviously has to be easy to put up and take down. Also, these kids didn't notice. They were so excited to see the characters, that the set could have been made of duct tape and paper bags and they still would have had fun.

Ella did really great. She interacted with the show and was standing in front of her chair marching to Dragon Mountain and singing along with the Grabbing Goblin. She got excited when the Flighty Fairy used her magic wand to send bubbles out into the audience. She held up her cardboard shield (given to her at the entrance) and shouted, "We're knights, that's right!" with all the other kids.

On the way home she held her magic light-up wand that I bought for her, and was asleep before we got out of Urbana. When we got home, I put her into her bed and she woke for a moment and said, "Backyardigans, Live!" and closed her eyes.

I don't know if the show was worth the $35 per ticket, but we had a really good Mommy/Daughter evening out. So maybe it was priceless?








6 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Bubba loved your pics! We're kinda sad we missed it, but I figure there will be other shows (probably not as much as he loves The Tale of The Mighty Knights), and he'd probably appreciate it more when he's a little older. And I wouldn't have been able to sing all the songs while I was hacking up my left lung in the aisle. :)

Amy said...

That looks super fun! I'm glad you two got a girls night out. =)

The Fearless Freak said...

Looks like you had a good time. I'm super impressed with those stage pictures too. Usually, those kinds of pictures come out dark and/or blurry. Very nice job :)

Anonymous said...

I'm super impressed that you took all of those pictures even though they tell you twice that picture-taking is not allowed. Congratulations on violating the law. Glad you had a good time.

makeup_girl said...

JRBoof - Wow. I didn't know that Congress passed a law against taking pictures. I missed that memo. Next time you jaywalk, think twice - it's no fun breaking the law.

The Fearless Freak said...

I obviously didn't go to see Backyardigans (my kids are too old for it) but every other kid show I've been to in recent years, the rule has been "no flash photography" not "no photography", because the flash irritates people around and could mess up the actors, if you are close enough or it is bright enough.

If you are close enough to the stage, you shouldn't need flash and if you aren't flash will just make the picture worse. It will light the area 10 feet in front of you super bright and make the rest of the picture pitch dark.

Based on what I know of the seating at AH, these pictures were very likely close enough to use the stage lights to get great pictures.

Maybe you should check your facts before you start jumping down people's throats about something like this. Also, I'm not sure that picture taking or lack there of is actually a law (unless it possibly voids some obscure copyright protection that I'm un aware of). A rule maybe but not all rules are laws and there is a vast difference between the two. It is a rule that you have to show up at work on time, not a law. Nothing worse than losing your job will happen if you don't follow it (which isn't a good thing but not a jail term or severe fine or anything like breaking a law would get you)