Friday, January 23, 2009

Where's the snow?

January is almost over. Spring is only a few months away. Most of you are super excited about this, but I am not.

I want some freakin' snow! I want to be able to go outside with my kids and play. I want to build a snowman. I want to throw snowballs at the dog. I want to see the kids go down the slide and plop into a pile of pretty, white, fluffy snow!

I bought all the essential winter items in early November - snow boots, snow pants, hats that Velcro under the chin, and I even searched all over the area until I found the coats I wanted - they had to have elastic on the inside with snaps so that the snow wouldn't creep up under the coat.

The kids have worn their boots two times, and the snow pants are still hanging in the closet collecting dust.
Grayson has never played in snow. Ella looks at pictures of winters past and asks when she can go outside and play.


The few times that we've had enough snow for them to play in, the weather wouldn't cooperate. I couldn't send them outside in 18 degree-below temperatures, and then there was the time that it all melted in 24 hours. Yesterday was the first day that I would have considered going outside and playing. But what happened? All the freakin' snow melted!




Two days after Grayson was born, we got about 8 inches of snow. I can only hope that happens again this year. And that the temperature is high enough to allow us some play time outside, yet low enough for the snow not to melt.


*Yes, all these photos are from last year!

4 comments:

SunnyD said...

February has been a big snow month for the last two years. I remember canceling two classes in Decatur because I couldn't get out of Savoy last year. So, hopefully you've still got plenty of time to get your snow.

When I grew up in Rockford, we had school snow days as late as April 26th (when I was in 8th grade) and then it was 78 degrees on May 2 and spring showed up. So, you know, mother nature is fickle, particularly in the era of global warming drama.

Quigs78 said...

As much as I want to support you, um, I can't hope for snow. It goes against every fiber of my warm, sun-loving body.

Sorry. :P

The Fearless Freak said...

Uh, yeah, I have to side with Quigs! No more snow! There is plenty sitting my backyard, not melting at all.

Lavender Lemonade said...

I bet you're jumping for joy this morning. :)