Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's just easier this way.

After a very long night with Grayson, I don't feel like doing much of anything today. I think he slept in his bed for 1 1/2 hours before he woke up with a fever (damn molars interrupting my sleep). So I assumed our normal position on the couch hoping we'd just finish off our sweet dreams there. He was just so uncomfortable that he tossed and turned the whole time. I know neither of us got any "real" sleep, yet he isn't the one lacking energy today.

I was able to do some dishes, laundry, and clean Ella's room. However, to accomplish those things, I plopped Grayson into the recliner and put on a Baby Einstein movie. When that was over (this particular one doesn't have the "repeat" option) I put in The Backyardigans.

I know all the experts say that watching TV is damaging to the children. I don't fully agree with that. I moderate what my children watch. They aren't watching Power Rangers, TMNT, or Sponge Bob (just because that show is simply stupid, not because it's really violent). They watch what I consider educational shows or interactive shows. We like stuff on Sprout, Noggin, and most things on PBS. I tried to avoid Dora and Diego as long as possible, but darn it! they just love them! We watch the Backyardigans a lot. It happens to be my favorite as well as Grayson's.

I know that they are learning stuff from these shows. Ella is constantly surprising me. I didn't know she knew how to count to ten in Spanish, or how to say "Hello" in Chinese until I heard her do so. Her imagination is a plethora of stories and ideas that I know have mostly come from television shows and movies. And I am OK with that. I know that if Grayson could talk, he'd be reciting lines from shows and telling me, "No, Mama, it's an Orca whale," just like Ella has.

It's not as though my kids would rather watch TV instead of playing outside; they love the outdoors. But on days when I feel like shit, or the humidity is too much for me, or I'm just too tired to really play with them (like today), or I need to put a dent in that never ending pile of laundry, I let them watch TV. I'm fine with it, and sometimes, it's just easier that way.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm with ya sister! Damn the naysayers that preach TV rots a brain. I was glued to the boob tube pretty much all my adolescent life. That's what happens when your mom is a single parent with 5 kids. I don't think I turned out all that bad.

Unfortunatley, my kids don't sit still long enough to watch TV so I couldn't rot their little brains even if I tried. Well, I take that back, WW will watch a Wiggles marathon if she's kinda tired. JB will play Lego Indiana Jones all day long and I have to drag him away from the Xbox kicking and screaming. I know, I know, call the people right now! I let my 4-year-old play Xbox 360.

Quigs78 said...

Amen to that! My kids are all about TV, but they watch Thomas, Cars, or the Disney cartoons. We watch Hi-5, too. All of the shows that I call edu-tainment. And I think it helps with Bubba's speech therapy, too, because he'll sing along with songs or start naming trains. (That's my way of rationalizing it out anyway.)

We love the TV here!

SunnyD said...

I'm doing it right now. I'm burnt out. Computer is playing the DVD.