Monday, June 23, 2008

As I sit here discovering the world of bloggers, blogging, and the ever-popular blog itself, my 16-month old son Grayson is perched upon my lap eating a piece of paper. He has a hooded frog bath towel draped over his head in a superhero cape fashion, and he's devouring a piece of note paper. With his thumb in his mouth, he still manages to chew and swallow. I've no clue how he does it, nor why. It keeps him happy, the paper, and although I chase him down each and every day trying to keep him from eating books, magazines, bills, and tissues, he still manages to get his "fix." I suppose I just pick and choose my battles, and he has won this one.

He should be in bed. He's had a bottle of milk and a few stories, and yet here he is.....just wanting to be part of what I'm doing. I sit here and press my nose to the back of his head, inhaling the smell of his hair. I love cuddling him on bath nights. I know these days of snuggling, cuddling, and nose-kisses will be over in a few years, so I try to take in as much as I can.....I try to remember every smile, grin, laugh, gaze, touch and smell that comes my way from both my children.

There are times I wish we were constantly being filmed for a reality television show. At least then I'd have something to look back at when they are both grown. Sure, I take pictures and videos. I keep journals for both children and one for myself. And now I've started this blog. I think that these forms of documentation are not only for me to reminisce over later, but for the kids too. If something were to ever happen to me before Ella and Grayson are grown with children of their own, I want them to have a way to know who I am. Their daddy will only have so many stories about Mommy, and I want them to know me....really know me, and know how much I loved them and how they have impacted my life.

So now, as I wipe tears from my face and type with one hand, I think my Little Man is finally ready to go to sleep. I will snuggle with him until he's in dream land, then I myself will try to dream as well.

5 comments:

Amy said...

AWWWWW! So sweet! I love those moments too. It's sad to think they will be over. I like to fool myself into thinking that my kids will still want to hang out and like me a little bit when they are 12 and 14 but I'm not really holding my breath on that one =)

I'm glad you started a blog. I love stalking other people's lives.

Quigs78 said...

I see you got sucked into the blogosphere, too, eh? :)

You have the sweetest little kids - I can't wait to read more about them! (And the puppy, too!)

:)

makeup_girl said...

The blog was inevitable. I type much faster than I write. I've got so much to say....so many stories to document....this seemed to be the best option.

And I've noticed it is very much like stalking!

Lavender Lemonade said...

Such a sweet and oh so true post. I totally know what you mean about documenting everything. I'm terrible at it but at least I'll have 6 billion digital photos to go through in my old age. I am so afraid that I won't remember the "little things" though. I'm amazed at how much my mom remembers (and how much she doesn't remember!). And its got to be one of the best feelings in the world (even though its bothersome occassionally) when your kids want to sit on your lap and be held. Just the weight of them on my lap or shoulder is like the best feeling ever. :)
Welcome to Blog World! It has become an addiction to me...mostly stalking, commenting and sometimes posting on my own. :)

Drea Damara said...

awe you're such a good mom. don't worry, kids always remember.