Friday, October 2, 2009

Hair I Am

I am a hairy gal. I don't like this fact, but there is nothing I can do about it. Well, that's not true. For thousands of dollars, I could have laser hair removal, but I don't have thousands of dollars. (Wanna loan me some?). I have thick, coarse, dark hair, and shaving is not an easy task. I get razor burn easily. I have to use a men's razor, because those girly, pretty ones don't do a good enough job.
When I was in college, I had surgery on both of my legs at the same time. The scar tissue on my legs from the operation was so sensitive, that shaving was painful. Even now, over 10 years later, just touching those areas on my legs is uncomfortable.
So. Shaving my legs is not too high up on my priority list. It's slightly painful in some spots, and the hair grows entirely too fast.
Now, shaving the armpits is a different story. I don't have scar tissue to worry about, I just have crazy razor burn. Don't try to give me ideas on how to prevent it - I've tried everything. I am not one of you lucky people who can shave her armpits every day. No sirree. Once every three days is the best I can do. If I were to do it two days in a row, I'd be screaming in the shower.
When the weather is cool enough for me to be in jeans and long-sleeved shirts, it makes me happy. I can hide my embarrassing hair issues (except the facial hair, but that's a hormone thing, and a story for another day) and feel a little more confidant.
"Sarah, why are you sharing all this personal information with us" you ask? I'll tell you why.
I walked into my almost-five-year-old daughter's room the other day, and she was drawing a picture. She was very excited to show me.
"Look Mommy, I drew a picture of you!"
"You did?" I said. "That's great, baby! Let me see." She shows me this:

"It's beautiful," I said. "What is this? Hair?"
"Oh yes!" she says. "That's your armpit hair."
*Dramatic pause by me.*
"My armpit hair?" "Why would you draw my armpit hair?" I ask.
"Because your armpits are always hairy."
"But maybe Mommy doesn't like her armpits being hairy," I said.
"Oh, but I love your hairy armpits, Mommy!" Ella says, drawing another picture of me.

At least one of us does.



2 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

HAHA! I'm LMAO. Sorry to be so amused by your pain :)

~rachel~ said...

That is hilarious!! :)